JOB AND INTERNSHIPS LISTINGS
Join a team where you can make a difference for our state!
Are you a creative person who likes to write, draw, take photos, or create buzzworthy digital images and graphics? Do you like the idea of working in a fast-paced environment where you are faced routinely with new challenges to solve and overcome? Do you want to join an excellent team where you can make a difference for Oklahoma?
Then consider joining the Oklahoma Senate Communications Division. The Senate Communications Division has an opening for a Communications Specialist. In this role, you will help craft content for internal and external use across a variety of platforms that communicate complicated policy issues in an easy-to-understand manner.
The right candidate has strong writing skills, experience with digital media platforms, and the ability to use or the willingness to learn graphic design programs.
The Oklahoma State Senate is an amazing place to work. As a member of the Senate team, you will work with Senators of both political parties, other Senate staff, and Leadership staff to help communicate the great things the Senate is doing to make Oklahoma a better state every day.
If this sounds like the type of challenge that interests you, please email your resume, a writing sample, and graphic design samples (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org; mail or deliver to: Oklahoma State Senate, HR/Personnel Services, 2300 North Lincoln Blvd., Room 309.1C, Oklahoma City, OK 73105-4808; or fax to: (405) 521-5554.
A few more details about the job
Following are a few of the responsibilities of the Senate Communications Specialist, other tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis:
- Develop and distribute press releases for Senators;
- Capture and edit for use online and on social media photographs, audio and video;
- Research, write and edit speeches and other materials for Senators as needed;
- Plan and execute press conferences and related media events for Senators;
- Be knowledgeable about current events, locally and nationally, especially as they pertain to the legislative process and issues having a direct impact on the state;
- Maintain and update webpages as needed, as well as Senate social media accounts;
- Answer inquiries from the media and public regarding the Senate;
- Create informational and educational graphics about legislation and legislative issues for use on social media; and
- Assist in the assignment, review and supervision of media interns’ daily work and educational experience.
- Commensurate with education and relative work experience; includes the state employee benefit package.
Experience, knowledge and skills we are seeking
- Strong writing, communications and computer skills;
- A willingness to learn new skills and find ways to continually improve;
- A team player who is not afraid of hard work;
- The ability to research, write, edit and proofread materials quickly and efficiently;
- The ability to multitask, and perform under pressure; and
- A college degree, preferably in a field related to communications and/or government.